FLEXDEX IS DEVELOPING A SUITE OF INSTRUMENTS FOR MINIMALLY INVASIVE SURGERY
Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS) is performed via small incisions on the patient's body, resulting in reduced pain, blood-loss and recovery time. Existing instrument technologies for MIS either lack dexterity and intuitive control, or are very expensive.
FlexDex's platform technology precisely translates the surgeon’s hand, wrist, and arm movements from outside the patient into corresponding movements of an end-effector inside the patient's body. Based on a simple, purely mechanical, and affordable design, FlexDex greatly enhances the capabilities of all MIS instruments and endoscopes.
FlexDex's core technology is the outcome of basic research and innovations in parallel kinematics, virtual center of rotation, and flexure mechanisms in the Precision Systems Design Lab at the University of Michigan. Professors Shorya Awtar (Mechanical Engineering) and James Geiger (Surgery), along with medical device entrepreneur Greg Bowles, co-founded FlexDex Surgical to translate this research into surgeon-friendly medical products.
FlexDex creates outstanding products and technologies with the guiding principle:
FlexDex Inc.'s technical development has been funded, in part, by the National Science Foundation (NSF) SBIR grants.
We are a small team of passion driven individuals ready to revolutionize surgery
THOMAS DAVISON, PH.D.
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
Tom Davison is a medical device industry veteran and a serial entrepreneur with more than four decades of experience. He is also the chairman of HistoSonics Inc. and was the CEO and co-founder of Endius (acquired by Zimmer Holdings, Inc.) and UltraCision (acquired by Ethicon EndoSurgery). He has a BA, MS and PhD in Biology and Physiology from Kent State University. We wanted to dedicate a whole website to him, but he declined. Full Bio.
SHORYA AWTAR, SC.D.
Chief Technology Officer and Co-Founder
Shorya Awtar is a professor of Mechanical Engineering and director of Precision Systems Design Lab at the University of Michigan (currently on leave). He is the lead inventor of FlexDex technology, for which he received the ASME Leonardo da Vinci Award. He is an expert in machine design and mechatronics, with multiple research papers, patents, technologies, start-ups, and awards in these areas. He earned his engineering degrees from IIT Kanpur, RPI and MIT. He is known for his 25 hour work days. Full Bio.
Chief Marketing Officer and Co-Founder
Greg Bowles has been part of the medical device industry for over a decade where he has worked in sales and leadership positions at Janssen, Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Intuitive Surgical, and EndoGastric Solutions. Before joining the industry, he served for more than 16 years in the US Navy as an Intelligence Analyst. Greg holds a Bachelors in Business Administration and Management from Northwood University. He is well known for his office full of hardware treasure. Full Bio.
JAMES GEIGER, MD
Chief Medical Officer, Chair-Clinical Advisory Board and Co-Founder
Jim Geiger is Professor of Surgery at the University of Michigan and a pediatric surgeon at C.S. Mott Children's Hospital. He is recognized as a world expert in the areas of advanced laparoscopy and robotic surgery. Dr. Geiger earned his undergraduate degree from University of Michigan and his medical degree from Case Western Reserve University school of Medicine. He is board certified in pediatric surgery, general surgery, and surgical critical care. He is the most tech-savvy surgeon you will ever meet. Full Bio.
THE FLEXDEX TEAM
CLINICAL ADVISORY BOARD
FlexDex is proud of its remarkable Clinical Advisory Board led by Dr. James Geiger
DANIEL HERRON, MD
Dr. Daniel Herron is the Chief of Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgery at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York. Full Bio.
NATHANIAL SOPER, MD
Dr. Nathanial Soper is a Professor and Chair and Chief of Surgery, Northwestern University. Full Bio.
We are a small team of passion driven individuals ready to revolutionize surgery AND LOOKING FOR EXCEPTIONAL individuals to join us!
r&d eNGINEER (5+ Years MED. DEVICE Experience)
Skills: Detailed Mechanical Design, Design for Manufacturability and Assembly (DFM/A), Materials for Med. Device
Desired skills and attributes include:
- Self-motivation, passion for technology innovation, and strong desire to make an impact
- Mechanical engineering and design experience in linkages, cams, transmissions, cable drives, cams, pulleys, shafts, fasteners, structures, etc.
- Working knowledge and experience in Design for Manufacturability / Assembly / Part-count Reduction, and Material Selection.
- Experience in prototype design, fabrication, assembly, and debugging. Devices involve small to medium size components, some of which have high precision in terms of tolerances and features. Experience with traditional fabrication processes as well as rapid prototyping methods is desired.
- Proficiency in 3D CAD, engineering drawings, GD&T, and tolerance stack-up analysis.
- Experience in medical product design, development, and manufacturing will be a plus.
- Strong teamwork, project management, and communication skills.
Skills: Design for Manufacturability, Tool Design (esp. injection molding), Manufacturing and Assembly Process Development
Desired experience and qualifications include:
- Journeyman-level experience in Tool, Die, Mold design / build.
- Engineering knowledge of manufacturing processes for products containing mechanical components and assemblies such as linkages, cams, transmissions, cable drives, cams, pulleys, shafts, fasteners, structures, etc.
- Experience in Design for Manufacturability & Assembly, Material Selection and Cost Reduction.
- Strong skills in fabrication of very small, high precision metal and plastic components
- Experience with traditional fabrication processes as well as rapid prototyping methods. Job involves significant level of prototyping, which will involve fabrication of components by the engineer or working closely with machine shops to have these components fabricated.
- Experience in 3D CAD, engineering drawings, GD&T, tolerance stack-up analysis, and manufacturing process plans.
- Experience in ISO 13485, ISO 9001 or TS16949 is a huge plus.
- Strong teamwork, project management, and communication skills.
- An engineering degree is preferred but experience counts more!
Only if you fit well to the aforementioned openings, send your resume along with any work portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "JOB OPENING".
We are based in the beautiful city of Brighton, Michigan.
FLEXDEX INC., 10421 CITATION DR., SUITE 900, BRIGHTON, MI, 48116
If you're interested in corporate collaboration, please fill the following form and we'll get back to you soon. Otherwise, connect with us on Twitter for further updates.